In reading other peoples' blogs we realized that we really enjoy posts that allow us to get to know the bloggers better. So we've decided to start a (hopefully) regular feature called "Nine on the 9th" where we share nine things about ourselves, both individually and as a couple, on the 9th of the month. Let's get started! 1. Rachel's favorite food is pretty much always tacos. She has gone to great lengths to eat at delicious taco joints, both in the city of Chicago and out-of-state. She even has a "Favorite Tacos" list on her Yelp! profile and we made tacos for our wedding lunch!
2. Kristl is from Hawaii, where there is a big car culture. She used to have a list of all the mods she wanted to do to her car to soup it up. That all stopped when she moved to Chicago in 2004. Now she and Rachel share a 2005 Hyundai with a cracked center console and no spoiler.
3. We met in our local LGBTQ community choir, Windy City Performing Arts, in September 2010, but we didn't notice each other until 6 months later when we both got cute, queer-ish haircuts. We didn't actually go on our first date until June, 2011.
4. Rachel is a constant and avid reader and frequently has at least three books going at once. She also is a frequent library-user and forced her host brother to help her get a library card when she lived in Tokyo for 2.5 months.
5. Kristl loves baking (and is really good at it), but she hates eating cake. She has been known to spend hours baking and frosting a cake for someone and then not even try a bite.
6. We rarely watch movies and almost never watch TV, even though individually we used to watch a lot of movies and Kristl in particular would spend hours watching TV. We usually can't name three (or any) movies that are out at a given time. (We did, however, see The Hunger Games in the theatre in 2012. We waited so long to see it that it was only playing in ONE theatre in the entire Chicagoland area, so we drove over an hour each way to see it. We haven't yet seen Catching Fire, and are likely to wait until 2014 to do so.)
7. When she was little, Rachel loved catching frogs, lizards, and grasshoppers in the swamp by her house in Pensacola, FL. As an adult she tries to avoid the aforementioned animals.
8. Despite having lived in Chicago for nine years, Kristl still gets inordinately excited about road trips, big or small. Having grown up in Hawaii, she is just not used to the fact that you can hop in your car and end up in another state. Her road trip experiences have grown a lot since dating Rachel, as they've driven to Florida, North Carolina and Virginia in the past year and a half, not to mention numerous weekend trips to other states in the Midwest.
9. Kristl knew she wanted to have a lifelong commitment to Rachel pretty early on in their relationship, but Rachel took her time. One thing she was adamant about was not having a long engagement, saying she didn't understand the point. At the beginning of this year, Rachel was pretty sure she wanted to marry Kristl, but thought about it in terms of "five years down the road." Then in late August, she proposed to Kristl, and in early November they got married in Iowa. Guess she got her wish of having a short engagement! (And Kristl got a road trip as part of her wedding! W00!)
Hope you enjoyed this first installment of "Nine on the 9th"! Let us know if you have any questions you'd like us to answer in the future.